Nuevo Mondo Friki
¿Quieres reaccionar a este mensaje? Regístrate en el foro con unos pocos clics o inicia sesión para continuar.

Como las empresas lo saben todo de ti

+2
ñiñi
kancerbero
6 participantes

Como las empresas lo saben todo de ti Empty Como las empresas lo saben todo de ti

Mensaje  Invitado Lun Mar 14, 2011 6:41 pm

Bueno, dejo este tema de momento con el post en inglés y cuando tenga la traducción (la haré por encima, mientras se entienda lo básico es suficiente, que el texto es muy largo)
la pondré.

TIME NEWS

Data Mining: How Companies Now Know Everything About You

By Joel Stein Thursday, Mar. 10, 2011

Three hours after I gave my name and e-mail address to Michael Fertik, the CEO of Reputation.com, he called me back and read my Social Security number to me. "We had it a couple of hours ago," he said. "I was just too busy to call."

In the past few months, I have been told many more-interesting facts about myself than my Social Security number. I've gathered a bit of the vast amount of data that's being collected both online and off by companies in stealth — taken from the websites I look at, the stuff I buy, my Facebook photos, my warranty cards, my customer-reward cards, the songs I listen to online, surveys I was guilted into filling out and magazines I subscribe to.
(See pictures of a Facebook server farm.)

Google's Ads Preferences believes I'm a guy interested in politics, Asian food, perfume, celebrity gossip, animated movies and crime but who doesn't care about "books & literature" or "people & society." (So not true.) Yahoo! has me down as a 36-to-45-year-old male who uses a Mac computer and likes hockey, rap, rock, parenting, recipes, clothes and beauty products; it also thinks I live in New York, even though I moved to Los Angeles more than six years ago. Alliance Data, an enormous data-marketing firm in Texas, knows that I'm a 39-year-old college-educated Jewish male who takes in at least $125,000 a year, makes most of his purchases online and spends an average of only $25 per item. Specifically, it knows that on Jan. 24, 2004, I spent $46 on "low-ticket gifts and merchandise" and that on Oct. 10, 2010, I spent $180 on intimate apparel. It knows about more than 100 purchases in between. Alliance also knows I owe $854,000 on a house built in 1939 that — get this — it thinks has stucco walls. They're mostly wood siding with a little stucco on the bottom! Idiots.

EXelate, a Manhattan company that acts as an exchange for the buying and selling of people's data, thinks I have a high net worth and dig green living and travel within the U.S. BlueKai, one of eXelate's competitors in Bellevue, Wash., believes I'm a "collegiate-minded" senior executive with a high net worth who rents sports cars (note to Time Inc. accounting: it's wrong unless the Toyota Yaris is a sports car). At one point BlueKai also believed, probably based on my $180 splurge for my wife Cassandra on HerRoom.com, that I was an 18-to-19-year-old woman.

RapLeaf, a data-mining company that was recently banned by Facebook because it mined people's user IDs, has me down as a 35-to-44-year-old married male with a graduate degree living in L.A. But RapLeaf thinks I have no kids, work as a medical professional and drive a truck. RapLeaf clearly does not read my column in TIME.
(See 25 websites you can't live without.)

Intellidyn, a company that buys and sells data, searched its file on me, which says I'm a writer at Time Inc. and a "highly assimilated" Jew. It knows that Cassandra and I like gardening, fashion, home decorating and exercise, though in my case the word like means "am forced to be involved in." We are pretty unlikely to buy car insurance by mail but extremely likely to go on a European river cruise, despite the fact that we are totally not going to go on a European river cruise. There are tons of other companies I could have called to learn more about myself, but in a result no one could have predicted, I got bored.
(Comment on this story.)

Each of these pieces of information (and misinformation) about me is sold for about two-fifths of a cent to advertisers, which then deliver me an Internet ad, send me a catalog or mail me a credit-card offer. This data is collected in lots of ways, such as tracking devices (like cookies) on websites that allow a company to identify you as you travel around the Web and apps you download on your cell that look at your contact list and location. You know how everything has seemed free for the past few years? It wasn't. It's just that no one told you that instead of using money, you were paying with your personal information.

See how college-admissions departments stalk Facebook.

See how one teacher's viral blog post sparked an angry debate.

– Debbie Souza
A very revealing article which does not surprise but shows how leapfrog jumps and assumptions are madefrom limited data collection (or really sampling of data). These various agencies also assume all purchases are for you. Further, the evidence for such accurate information would require a different way of organising data obtained from multiple sources. Your computer certainly stores your searches, and some websites store both searches and purchases to send you recommendations for future purchases. From this article, 'data mining about you' obtained from from the internet is fraught with inconsistencies and inaccuracies but even if limited in analysis there are small measures of truth. So then also, how private is that term 'privacy' in internet use?

" The real problem with data mining, Calo and others believe, arises when the data is wrong" No, the real problem is when it is so correct and complete that professional marketers/for hire psychologists and political strategists know EXACTLY how to make you buy their product or candidate. Or, conversely, accurate information can be used by a wealthy entity or personal stalker to very precisely scare or itimidate you. That's really tantamount to "mind control".

It’s another intelligent and well-articulated point of view from Joel Stein; however…

I think as we tend to do with the hot topics du jour, there is an inaccurate portrayal of what consumers truly perceive to be important. To clarify, I’ll define what consumers “perceive” as important based upon two metrics:
(i) What they say is important/what their beliefs are and
(ii) Wwhat they actually do (i.e. what they purchase).

For example, a recent Harris Poll conducted in November 2010 found that while more Americans now describe themselves as being environmentally-friendly, their actual purchase behavior contradicts that. We say we want to be “green” but don’t live that way. So what gives? A new Rasmussen Reports survey finds that of those who will buy a “green” car in the next decade, nearly half (49%) are more likely to do so because of high gas prices, not because it’s good for the environment…and there’s the 900 pound gorilla in the room – economic motivation.

When it comes to behavioral patterns online, most consumers would still prefer to pay not with currency, but with the sharing of their information. Of course nothing is for free and we’re smart enough to know that by now (hopefully). This topic should not get sidetracked into a scare tactics conversation, but rather utilized to better understand that new technology and data mining is surfacing today in response to the consumer demand for “free” and this model can only be supported with financial reciprocity somewhere in the food chain of this new gratis economy.

Some of the benefits of mining the data effectively have been mentioned in Mr. Stein’s article as well as in some of the posts; however, one topic entirely omitted which should be discussed to balance this conversation is the fact that the vast majority of data fraud still occurs offline in more low-tech executions. I think most would be surprised to learn that stolen wallets and physical paperwork accounts for almost half (43%) of all identity theft and while it’s far more interesting to discuss the digital compromise of personal data, online methods account for only 11% of identity theft according to Javelin Strategy and Research, 2009.

Before we all raise the information threat level to orange, perhaps it’s worth taking a pause, looking at the facts and worrying more about pick pockets than protecting PCs.
Yesterday, 20:36:12– Flag – Like – Reply – Delete – Edit – Moderate Sarah A. Paradisi
Excellent article highlighting all the big internet privacy issues we're facing. I'm writing to add Abine's PrivacySuite browser add-on and DeleteMe, their online deletion service, to the list of privacy protecting solutions you mentioned. I'm basically a "professional deleter" there who's also an attorney, and I remove people's info from sites where they don't want it, such as Spokeo.

We really need a long-term solution to protect people's privacy from data mining, but until then, I'm helping people on an individual basis. You can check us out at Sheesh. The only real problem is if the data is wrong? I don't think so! I quit reading at that point.

Yes-- there are a lot of companies that gather information about you. I don't think your SSN is something that should be able to be collected and easily accessible. But, I think people should know that your information isn't useful or interesting as a single data point. It's only when those data points are aggregated into group like "Women over 25 who love Britney Spears and pizza"-- then advertisers can purchase that data set and serve ads to them on websites they visit.

Also, this is the price you pay for free web content. You get content for free, and in exchange you tell advertisers and publishers a little bit about yourself. If everyone enmasse opts out of this, then the system of free web content is gone. Just sayin'

Many companies try to gather as much data as possible as a way to get to know their customers, and buying external data is often used to do so. Though this data can be helpful, what's more important is for a company to be able to access their internal data sources and integrate all data to develop a holistic view of their customers. Once that's done, a company can then create customer intelligence that will help them understand their customers so they can make key business decisions and develop marketing strategies that can built loyalty among their most profitable customers. For more information visit www.iknowtion.com
I wrote a story about this a few days ago - several FB friends chipped in with quotes and advice. Thanks for all the support - and here's more from the Time. Regards

This is exactly why I clear my computer cookies and run a malware program to clean out tracking cookies at least once a week. I would suggest that each of you do the same thing.
It creeps me out how much info I get just from a page view counter thing from my blog. Which pages were viewed and for how long, where the person lives, what search terms they used, etc... And this is a FREE service. I didn't even ask for this level of creepy detail. (Not that I don't totally look at all of it...)
jill

Interestingly, some government around the world are recognizing this problem. Aside from the US Congress, the Philippine Supreme Court now issues "write of habeas data" which empowers individuals in controlling the information with them pursuant to the duty of the court of protect their rights, particularly, the right to privacy.

Intellidyn is an analytic Marketing Servies company developing and executing integrated on-Line and Off-Line marketing programs, enabling clients to scale their businesses at lower marketing costs. We utilize all types of data to support each clients proprietary business model.
As we discussed with Time Magazine: This is both an art and science of leveraging all types of data sources to create relevant, personalized communications across the target consumers channel of choice. It's also about the "combat experience" of knowing the accuracies and inaccuracies of data, The most successfule marketers will be those that fully leverage unfolding data sources and technologies to demonstrate to target consumers that they "KNOW THEM".

It's about leaving old marketing habits behind and embracing new capabilities that are unfolding daily.

Invitado
Invitado

Como las empresas lo saben todo de ti Empty Re: Como las empresas lo saben todo de ti

Mensaje  kancerbero Mar Sep 25, 2012 4:27 pm

Rescato este interesantísimo hilo (*) para poner esto que he encontrao por ahí:

* Me daba palo abrir otro tema
kancerbero
kancerbero
Pegamoide

Cantidad de envíos : 3540

Como las empresas lo saben todo de ti Empty Re: Como las empresas lo saben todo de ti

Mensaje  ñiñi Mar Sep 25, 2012 5:34 pm

tio creia que habia vuelto la marilina
ñiñi
ñiñi
Generación ÑI-ÑI

Cantidad de envíos : 7033

Mensaje  Txabi Mar Sep 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Por un momento, yo también...que susto mas gordo.
Txabi
Txabi
A todo cerdo le llega su San Martines

Cantidad de envíos : 5771

Mensaje  Diego Mar Sep 25, 2012 6:28 pm

También pensé que habia vuelto.....que pena que haya sido una falsa alarma.

la echo de menos.
Su locura.
El como se reia de nosotros.
Su sufrimiento, que tanto os regocijaba.
De los cafés que compartimos juntos en una terraza de Terrassa.
Diego
Diego
Cruzó con Caronte antes que Heracles

Cantidad de envíos : 4794

Mensaje  ñiñi Mar Sep 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Diego escribió:De los cafés que compartimos juntos en una terraza de Terrassa.

pero con leche ?????
ñiñi
ñiñi
Generación ÑI-ÑI

Mensaje  Diego Mar Sep 25, 2012 6:43 pm

y endulzaos con azúcar moreno de caña, tio.
Diego
Diego

Mensaje  ñiñi Mar Sep 25, 2012 6:44 pm

joder se llevo a su novio negro jaker????
ñiñi
ñiñi
Generación ÑI-ÑI

Mensaje  Diego Mar Sep 25, 2012 6:47 pm

Sí.
Y no pienso contar nada más.
Diego
Diego

Mensaje  ñiñi Mar Sep 25, 2012 6:51 pm

osea que akello acabo como el rosario de la aurora (que nunca he sabido que paso con el rosario de la señora esta pero debio ser chungo chungo)

osea en plan la marilina rayada con el negro y proponiendote un coito el negro cabreado contigo porque le hasias mas caso a marilina y tu que no sabias si tirarte al negro la marilina o la camarera vizcondesa que te guiñaba el ojo
ñiñi
ñiñi
Generación ÑI-ÑI

Mensaje  Jahiime Mar Sep 25, 2012 7:24 pm

El video ese parece publicidad viral desa pa vendernos algo. Eso es más chungo que el feisbuc.
Jahiime
Jahiime
Jipi

Cantidad de envíos : 2433

http://aliciavernok.blogspot.com/

Mensaje  kancerbero Mar Sep 25, 2012 7:57 pm

Jahiime escribió:El video ese parece publicidad viral desa pa vendernos algo. Eso es más chungo que el feisbuc.

Mmm... No sé qué es más chungo... Que te quieran vender algo, lícito hasta donde yo veo o que te vigilen sin que tú mismo sepas hasta qué punto.

El genial Julian Assange no se cansa de repetirlo:

“Facebook es algo abominable”
http://www.pagina12.com.ar/diario/elmundo/subnotas/204060-60551-2012-09-23.html

Wikileaks Founder: Facebook is the most appalling spy machine that has ever been invented
http://thenextweb.com/facebook/2011/05/02/wikileaks-founder-facebook-is-the-most-appalling-spy-machine-that-has-ever-been-invented/
kancerbero
kancerbero
Pegamoide

Mensaje  Jahiime Mar Sep 25, 2012 8:04 pm

No, si en lo del feis tienen razón. Lo que me parece más chungo es usarlo para venderte algo.

Porque imagino que los que estamos en el feis sabemos que si nos ven nuestros colegas nos puede ver cualquiera. Tú eliges lo que pones en tu muro, si aun así eres un irresponsable que cuentas toooda tu vida, pos fale, pos malegro.
Jahiime
Jahiime
Jipi

Mensaje  kancerbero Miér Sep 26, 2012 1:11 pm

Jahiime escribió:Tú eliges lo que pones en tu muro, si aun así eres un irresponsable que cuentas toooda tu vida, pos fale, pos malegro.

Ese es un error clásico de percepción.
Tú, cuando pones cosas en fb (y en todas las redes en general) eres consciente de que no quieres poner nada demasiado confidencial.
El problema, es que si sumas todo lo que has ido poniendo a lo largo del tiempo en cuentagotas, más lo que ponen tus conocidos (que quizá no tienen los mismos baremos que tú), la cantidad de información que se puede sacar de un perfecto desconocido es asombrosa.

No es ni bueno ni malo a priori. Lo importante es saberlo.

Por poner un ejemplo. ¿Sabes que si haces una foto con tu smartphone y la subes directamente a fb, internamente, en sus datos EXIF se guardan las coordenadas de la localización desde donde has hecho esa foto? ¿Sabes cuantas niñatas se hacen fotos con su iphone desde su casa?
kancerbero
kancerbero
Pegamoide

Mensaje  tranchete Miér Sep 26, 2012 2:03 pm

kancerbero escribió:Por poner un ejemplo. ¿Sabes que si haces una foto con tu smartphone y la subes directamente a fb, internamente, en sus datos EXIF se guardan las coordenadas de la localización desde donde has hecho esa foto? ¿Sabes cuantas niñatas se hacen fotos con su iphone desde su casa?
Eso te pasa por tener smartphone, con GPS y encima activando la opción de que guarde las coordenadas. Y ahora ya me has jodido el averiguar donde vive el ñiño.
tranchete
tranchete
alimaña fachosa

Cantidad de envíos : 2832

Mensaje  ñiñi Miér Sep 26, 2012 2:16 pm

yo el feisbuk lo uso poco nada panda de maricones
ñiñi
ñiñi
Generación ÑI-ÑI

Mensaje  Jahiime Miér Sep 26, 2012 3:04 pm

kancerbero escribió:
Jahiime escribió:Tú eliges lo que pones en tu muro, si aun así eres un irresponsable que cuentas toooda tu vida, pos fale, pos malegro.

Ese es un error clásico de percepción.
Tú, cuando pones cosas en fb (y en todas las redes en general) eres consciente de que no quieres poner nada demasiado confidencial.
El problema, es que si sumas todo lo que has ido poniendo a lo largo del tiempo en cuentagotas, más lo que ponen tus conocidos (que quizá no tienen los mismos baremos que tú), la cantidad de información que se puede sacar de un perfecto desconocido es asombrosa.

No es ni bueno ni malo a priori. Lo importante es saberlo.

Por poner un ejemplo. ¿Sabes que si haces una foto con tu smartphone y la subes directamente a fb, internamente, en sus datos EXIF se guardan las coordenadas de la localización desde donde has hecho esa foto? ¿Sabes cuantas niñatas se hacen fotos con su iphone desde su casa?

Cierto, cierto.
Jahiime
Jahiime
Jipi

Mensaje  Contenido patrocinado

Contenido patrocinado